Thursday, January 11, 2018

winter tunnel clean up

I opened up my winter greens tunnel this afternoon, but it wasn't a pretty sight. All the romaine lettuce was wilted and rotting. I guess the week of sub-zero temperatures was too cold for it. Plus it looks like a mouse had gotten in. There was a mouse nest and the iceberg lettuce and spinach were eaten and torn up. There were a number of holes chewed in the row cover and pieces of it were in the mouse nest. Arugula, mustard greens, and a rosemary plant looked OK. The soil was pretty dry. I left the tunnel open to get some rain. I don't know how to get rid of that mouse. I suppose a mouse trap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where there is one mouse there is a whole family

Anonymous said...

I had a mouse problem in my veggie garden, they kept eating my cherry tomatoes... we used traps but finally decided it was the bird feeder that was attracting them.... we moved the feeder to the other side of the house and we haven't had a mouse problem since.

kathy said...

No feeder nearby to move. It’s just a nice warm spot in a terribly cold winter. I used hardware cloth to keep digging critters out. I don’t know how I could seal the tunnel against mice. I’ll try lots of traps.