Tuesday, January 09, 2018

grinding flint corn

flint corn IMG_1350

In my Master Gardener class last year, Roger Swain taught the vegetable gardening section. His opinion on corn is to skip growing sweet corn in a home vegetable garden since it takes up a lot of space and fresh corn is so readily available at farm stands. He grows varieties for grinding instead and demonstrated grinding corn he grew using a hand mill.

corn grinder - Roger Swain IMG_1018 corn grinder2 IMG_1018

Last summer I grew a small patch of flint corn in my garden - a wonderful old variety called Roy's Calais. I wanted to try grinding it for cornbread. It seemed to me that a hand grinder takes a lot of work. I was lucky to get a grain mill attachment for my Kitchen-aide mixer from my husband for Christmas.

The mill was nice and easy to use. I ended up with a cup and a half of corn meal. Just enough for corn bread. The result was a great. Buttery creamy delicious. Definitely a richer flavor than the product I buy in the store.

grinding corn IMG_1357 grinding corn IMG_1376 corn bread IMG_1386 corn bread IMG_1397

3 comments:

admin said...

Very exciting. I just bought a refurbished corn sheller. The kitchen aid grinder is a great idea.

kathy said...

I never thought of getting a corn sheller. It's always tough on my hands to shell the corn. Maybe I'll try one of the simple hand ones if I get a good harvest this year.

Susan said...

Seeing this post a bit late, but this idea just rocks my world. I'm never happy with the flavor of the corn meal I buy. Not sure we have the space to add this crop, but definitely keeping it in mind for 2019.